Chocolate Poisoning at your Dog

Like humans and dogs like chocolate. Unfortunately, chocolate contains substances that are toxic in high doses. Small dogs are most vulnerable because of relatively small amounts of chocolate can contain more toxic substances than they could handle it.

Why is chocolate harmful?

Chocolate contains theobromine, a powerful stimulant similar to theophylline (a drug that acts on the respiratory system) and caffeine. Chocolate also contains caffeine, but in much smaller quantities. Dark chocolate and chocolate cake contains the highest concentration of theobromine. Milk chocolate, white chocolate, and products that contain a small amount of cocoa (such as cookies, cakes, chocolate biscuits) also contain a stimulant in lower concentration.
Theobromine stimulates the central nervous system and the heart, increases blood pressure and accelerates peristalsis of the digestive tract. Symptoms of toxic effects of chocolate are restlessness, nervousness, thirst, vomiting and diarrhea. Difficult poisoning can lead to loss of coordination, seizure, coma and death.chocolate

 

Diagnosis of chocolate poisoning!

If you know that your dog has eaten chocolate, tell the vet the amount and type of chocolate. Amount required for expression of toxic effects depends on the type of chocolate and the size of the dog. If your dog has consumed the quantity that could be harmful, prompt treatment can reduce the likelihood of a serious condition arises. Unfortunately, dogs sometimes eat chocolate or other toxic substances, and that sometimes their owners do not notice. This can make it difficult to set up quite correct diagnosis.

Healing!

If you bring your pet to the vet for a period of 4-8 hours after eating the chocolate, it may be possible to prevent the transition of toxins in the bloodstream. Emetics are preparations which cause vomiting and in this way, the chocolate can be removed from the body over a period of 4 hours after consumption. Special preparations containing activated charcoal can bind themselves to toxins and up to 8 hours after exposure. These preparations bind chocolate in the intestines and it is the stool eliminated from the body without absorption. There is no specific antidote (antidote) for theobromine, or when the toxin is already absorbed, apply to symptomatic therapy.

Chocolate Poisoning Prevention!

Make sure that chocolate and other potential toxins always be out of reach of your pet. Keep in mind that the most dangerous chocolate cake. Although a piece of chocolate is unlikely to be lethal to your pet avoid it getting used to eating chocolate in any quantity.